How can I help if someone is unconscious?
What does it mean to be unconscious?
- Someone does not respond when you talk to them
- It’s like they are asleep but it is not easy to wake them up
- “Knocked out” / “blacked out”
Why might someone be unconscious AND breathing?
- Blood loss
- Taking drugs
- Having a fit
- Drinking alcohol
How do you tell if someone is unconscious AND breathing?
- Chest moving
- Face is their normal colour
- Floppy arms and legs
What do you do if someone is unconscious and breathing?
- Check they are breathing
- Call an ambulance (999)
- Put them in the recovery position
Key steps of the recovery position:
- Put them on their side
- Do the chin lift
Why might someone be unconscious and NOT breathing?
- Heart attack
- Severe bleeding
- Head injury
How do you tell if someone is unconscious and NOT breathing?
- Pale/grey/blue colour in their face
- Chest not moving
- Not responding or talking
- Floppy all over
What do you do if someone is unconscious and NOT breathing?
- Call an ambulance
- Keep yourself safe
- Chest compressions
- Stay with them until the ambulance arrives
- Interlock hands
- Place hands in centre of chest
- Keep arms straight
- Push up and down in the middle of the chest…
- …at a rate of 100-120 per min
Keep going until someone is ready to take over or the person wakes up